Truck Accident Claims in South Dakota
Truck accidents are some of the most severe and life-changing accidents on the road. The sheer size of a semi-truck means that it is more likely to cause damage to other vehicles and property when involved in an accident. This means that truck accidents are often the most severe and can result in catastrophic injuries and death. If you or someone you love has been involved in a truck accident, you need to know how to proceed with your claim.
At Zephier & LaFleur, P.C., our Rapid City truck accident lawyers are here to help you with your claim. We know how to handle these cases and how to get you the compensation you deserve. We also know how to fight to protect your rights and can help you with your claim from start to finish.
Understanding the Causes of Truck Accidents
Truck accidents are uniquely devastating due to the sheer size and weight of these vehicles. Semi-trucks, tractor-trailers, and other commercial trucks can weigh up to 80,000 pounds when fully loaded. When these behemoths collide with smaller passenger vehicles, the consequences are often catastrophic.
Common causes of truck accidents include:
- Driver Fatigue: Long hours on the road can lead to driver fatigue, impairing a trucker's ability to react quickly and make sound decisions.
- Speeding: Trucks traveling at high speeds have longer stopping distances and are more likely to cause severe accidents.
- Distracted Driving: Distractions, such as cell phones, navigation systems, or eating, can divert a driver's attention from the road.
- Impaired Driving: Alcohol, drugs, or prescription medications can impair a truck driver's judgment and reaction times.
- Improper Maintenance: Neglected maintenance can lead to equipment failures like brake malfunctions or tire blowouts.
- Overloaded or Improperly Loaded Trucks: Excessive cargo weight or improperly secured loads can make a truck unstable and prone to accidents.
After a truck accident, you may be in shock. This is normal, but you still need to know what to do in that moment and in the days and weeks that follow. This is why it's important to hire a truck accident attorney to help you during this difficult time.
Keep the following in mind after a truck accident:
- Call the police and request an accident report. This is important for your claim. You will need to know the exact cause of the accident and who was at fault.
- Go to the hospital if you have any injuries. It doesn't matter if you think your injuries are minor, you need to seek medical attention.
- Call your insurance company.
- Do not admit fault to the trucking company or the driver. You do not want to say anything that could be used against you later.
- Do not sign any documents from the trucking company.
If you have been injured in a truck accident, our Rapid City truck accident attorneys are here to help. We know how to handle these cases and how to get you the compensation you deserve. We also know how to fight to protect your rights and can help you with your claim from start to finish.
In Our Clients' Own Words
"Great lawyers with real integrity."Bryon B.
"They helped me quickly and concisely."Andrew H.
We Speak Your Language
We'll skip the legalese and explain your case in plain words - and we're quick to make a joke.
Fighting for the Underdog
We're passionate about advocating for the “little guy” and have successfully fought against large opposition.
We tailor your strategy to what matters the most to you. Wish us, you'll always come first.
Native American-OwnedWe are a locally owned firm and our attorneys are licensed in State, Federal, and Tribal Courts.